Traveling to Chile?

Learn the secrets of Chilean culture that every gringo should know:

culture book

Get your culture book today

Get Your Free Weekly Chile Newsletter

Sign up now and you'll immediately receive Pepe's 14 Tips Other Chile Travel Guides Won't Tell You.

Get Chile tips, insights, news, facts, and more directly in your inbox.

How much do things cost in Chile?

For those traveling to Chile, it is one thing to know the exchange rate of the Chilean peso and another to know what you can actually buy for that same amount of money.

Step 1: Find out how much your currency is worth in Chilean Pesos with the peso currency converter.
Step 2: See how much you can buy with your pesos.

Thanks to my friend Paola, here is a sample of some common items you can buy and their prices in Chilean pesos:

1 Egg: $80

1 liter of cooking oil: $850
50 grams of coffee: $900

5 hamburger patties: $1000
1 kilo of ground beef: $1500
450 ml. shampoo: $1500
750 grams of laundry detergent: $1700

If you want to see how much more expensive items cost, visit Chilean retailer Falabella and browse around looking at prices.

An iPod Shuffle, for example, will cost you $35000 Chilean pesos or roughly $75 USD at today’s currency rates.

Posted March 5th, 2008 in Ask Pepe, Culture, Travel.

Going to Chile? This newsletter will help...

• What to expect when you get to Chile
  • How to survive the Chilean culture
  • Tips to get the most from your trip

Sign up now and get your FREE copy of "14 Tips Other Chile Travel Guides Won't Tell You"

We respect your privacy.

9 Comments

1. Erin said:

Hi, I’m Erin. I’m a grade seven student in a northern community. We are doing a research project on a city and I picked Santiago. Your site really helped. I have gotten most of my useful information from it. This ‘grocery list’ was the most helpful. I have been looking for something like this for a couple days. Thank you. But I do have a question if you could answer it, What are some things to do after work?

January 27, 2011

2. Pepe said:

@Erin – Of course it depends on the individual but evening activities could include: spending time with family, having a late dinner, dancing at a disco or going to a shopping mall.

January 27, 2011

3. Erin said:

Thank you but I am looking for a specific good restaurant or a specific shopping mall. What is a good disco place? And I was also wondering what are the major cities around Santiago?
    Thank you for taking time to answer my questions. It’s greatly appreciated.

January 31, 2011

4. Pepe said:

@Erin – Great restaurants “Donde la Cuca” for Chilean Asado and “Donde el Guaton” for classic Chilean sandwiches.

There are malls all over Santiago. To recommend one would depend on your location. Plaza Oeste and Plaza Vespucio are two older malls in Santiago.

Here’s a list of Chile’s major cities. Viña del Mar/Valparaiso would be the closest to Santiago.

January 31, 2011

5. Erin said:

Thank you very much!! That helped a lot!!!
    If I have any more questions I’ll ask you. You were very helpful!!
    Thanks!

Erin

February 1, 2011

6. estrella said:

how much does ingrediants cost in chile

February 28, 2012

7. estrella said:

how do you make pastel de choclo? if u do how much does the ingrediants cost?

February 28, 2012

8. Pepe said:

Here’s some recipes for pastel de choclo:
    http://eatingchile.blogspot.com/2010/07/pastel-de-choclo-corn-pie-mystery.html – this one also has some interesting history about the dish.

February 28, 2012