Traveling to Chile?

Learn the secrets of Chilean culture that every gringo should know:

culture book

Get your culture book today

Get Your Free Weekly Chile Newsletter

Sign up now and you'll immediately receive Pepe's 14 Tips Other Chile Travel Guides Won't Tell You.

Get Chile tips, insights, news, facts, and more directly in your inbox.

Traditional Chilean Recipes You Can Make

Great Chilean food calls for some classic and traditional Chilean recipes. You don’t have to be a mamita who has been cooking in a Chilean kitchen for years to make some delicious recipes.

pebre salsa

Here are some of my favorite traditional Chilean recipes:

Chilean Pebre Salsa

Chilean Pebre is the ubiquitous condiment you’ll find with many Chilean meals. The simple ingredients make this an easy traditional Chilean recipe to accompany your meal:

Chilean Pebre Salsa Recipe

Cheese Empanada

Empandas are some of my favorite Chilean foods. Cheese empanadas are typically fried and have a very short ingredient list. The challenge is making the dough for the pasty shell. This recipe helps speed up the process by finding pre-made shells:

Easy Cheese Empanda Recipe

Chilean Humitas

When corn is in season, humitas are a favorite Chilean recipe that do require some work but they taste great:

Chilean Humitas Recipe

Chilean Manjar

Chileans have a sweet tooth. Manjar, a brown caramel-like sweet paste is a favorite on bread or desserts. You can make your own manjar with a can of sweetened condensed milk:

Manjar Recipes

Chilean Salad

If you’ve got tomatoes and onions, you’ve got most of what you need for the classic ensalada chilena that can accompany any lunch or dinner meal:

Chilean Salad Recipe

Chilean Panqueques Recipe

Combine French style crepes and Chilean manjar and you’ve got a very rich (and delicious) treat that is equally great for breakfast or dessert:

Chilean Panqueques Recipe

Chilean Pan de Pascua Recipe

Every Christmas, Chileans enjoy one of the most famous Chilean traditional recipes in the kitchen: Chilean Christmas bread or pan de pascua:

Chilean Pan de Pascua Recipe

What’s One of Your Favorite Traditional Chilean Recipes?

I’ve only listed a few traditional Chilean recipes here. What are some of your favorites? Do you have a great recipe you’d like to share? If so, please leave a comment.

Photo by Ryan Greenberg

Posted May 30th, 2012 in Food.

Going to Chile? This newsletter will help...

• What to expect when you get to Chile
  • How to survive the Chilean culture
  • Tips to get the most from your trip

Sign up now and get your FREE copy of "14 Tips Other Chile Travel Guides Won't Tell You"

We respect your privacy.

11 Comments

1. Anne said:

Not really a recipe so much as instructions for assembling: we like to serve chorrillana, family-style, on a platter with 4 forks. We make a batch of oven-fried french fries, top them with well-cooked thin-sliced onions and lots of bite-size pan-seared well-seasoned steak, top that with a couple fried eggs. Chilean bar food es La Mejor!!

May 31, 2012

2. Sarita Morse said:

Dear Pepe, When I visited Chile last year and stayed at the Orly Hotel, there was one favorite food of mine. It was the seafood stuffed crepes. If I can possibly have the recipe,it would be greatly appreciated! Also, one thing that I had purchased was the carrot jam. I would also love the recipe for that as well! Sarita Morse

May 31, 2012

3. Pepe said:

@Anne – That chorrillana sounds great and so easy any one can make it! Thanks for sharing.

June 1, 2012

4. Pepe said:

@Sarita – I can’t seem to track down the exact Orly recipes…

How’s your Spanish? I found this recipe for mermelada de zanahoria:

I’m not sure what seafood exactly was in your crepes but this recipe looks nice:

Hope this helps!

June 1, 2012

5. Jayne Scarman said:

Hi Pepe, we’d love a sopaipilla recipe to go with the pebre!

June 1, 2012

6. Pepe said:

@Jayne – here are some recipes for the Chilean variety of sopaipillas:

June 4, 2012

7. Bob said:

Chilean machas a la parmesana are to die for. Trouble is you can’t really get true machas in the US. Also, how could you forget pastel de choclo or chupe de locos? Can you still get locos in Chilean restaurants or in the fish market?

October 2, 2012

8. Pepe said:

@Bob – pastel de choclo is great. Thanks for mentioning that. The last time I walked through a fish market in Chile I did see locos.

October 2, 2012

9. Ale said:

Hello Pepe! I Lived in Chile for a year and I loved, machas a la parmesana, Crudo From Valdivia. Back at home I love to make chicken with merken (you can replace it with chili flakes or chili powder), mustard, and honey.

June 27, 2013

10. Pepe said:

@Ale – that sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing!

June 27, 2013

11. Daniela said:

I am looking for a recipe for these cookies I used to get when I used to visit my grandmother in Contitutioñ chile when I was a little girl from the bakery. I close my eyes and can bring bake the thoughts and smell of the fresh bread and pastries baking. It was a cracker like cookie sand which with manjar in the middle and a merangue surrounded it. Oh my mouth is just watering!! I gave combed the internet but have found nothing like it except for the Chilean Alfajores. Any help greatly appreciated

January 5, 2014